Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Jessica's kind Facebook note

This is extremely hard for me to post, but it is such an amazing, gracious note that my dear, dear friend, Jessica, who I dearly love, posted on her Facebook page and told me she was "forcing" me to put it on my blog. 

I have posted about Jessica a couple of times before. She never ceases to amaze me. She is currently in her Master's program at Texas A & M-Commerce.

This note is inspired by Janet Morrison. I read one of her blogs a few months back when she had began giving people awards through her blog, she encouraged other people to pass it it on. So here goes....

I would like to dedicate my award to.....JANET MORRISON! She is a person who has never ceased to amaze me. I always knew my award would go to her but it took me a long time to come up with a title for the award and to decide what exactly to say because I have so much to say. Although you deserve so much more than a blog, this one is for you!

Janet works for Central Dallas Ministries which is an organization that is really involved in helping the community. Janet's title there is the director of children's education which means she coordinates and oversees programs for the children. I have never seen anyone as involved in what they do as she is. She is constantly brainstorming ways to improve or make what she does more meaningful to those involved. She is constantly helping someone do something. She is what I call an activist because she is always stands up for what she believes in.

If you know Janet, you know she does not approve of giving time, money or effort and then walking away to never be seen again. So with that being said, she has honored her words in my life.

I met Janet at church many years ago when I was just a child. I attended the camp, "Univeristy of Values". I loved to attend the camp because it had a great atmosphere. She had trained her staff to interact positively with the kids. Never had I been in a place as such. When I grew too old to attend I became a volunteer and later a staff. It was the best job I have ever had. I really confirmed my passion to teach more than anything.

There has been many many times in my life where she has been exactly what I needed. I can recall when I was younger her making my birthdays special with her decorated cakes, making all the kids Christmas gift each year, sending a post card from Mexico and giving advice while being understanding when I was in trouble. As I got older, I remember her always encouraging me, helping me get into college, helping me deal with grief my freshman year of college, stepping in when others stepped out, assisting me with dealing with issues of all kinds in college, and celebrating my successes in life with me.

Even with all of that said, I still left out lots of things.

She is absolutely one of the best people that I have come across in life and she has been consistent and always true to her word. She is a blessing from God to me! I appreciate her and her efforts so much. So to Janet, my mentor, my friend, my supporter, my inspiration..... thanks for being an AMAZING "ALL AROUND" PERSON.

To all who read this and know Janet, what has Janet done for you? (Post here) And to Janet copy and paste this into your own blog please!!!!

Janet and Jess!

2 comments:

Ms. Embry said...

Jessica, like you, I consider Janet a mentor and inspiration....I met Janet when I was just getting out of college and the things I have learned from her have truly shaped me, my perspectives, and my career in many ways. I have learned so very much from her and continue to learn more with every conversation. I admire Janet's tenacity, her ... See Morecreativity, her genuine love for people, her love of learning and the way she shares that appreciation of learning with others, the way she never lowers her expectations for people, the way she enjoys the simple things in life and the way she enjoys people. I admire her drive, her goals, her way of truly seeing the strengths in people and in the community. I admire the way Janet has impacted so many people, especially young people such as yourself, and the way she has believed in each of you (and me!). Janet is the kind of person who leaves an impression on every person who crosses her path...she makes you think a little harder, want to try a little harder, and want to love a little harder. Actually, I have to give Janet a lot of credit for getting me started on the path to my recent graduate degree....that was a seed she planted in my mind...and her constant quest to learn more and understand more in order to improve her programs, her work, and her community inspired me to do the same. I can honestly say that Janet has been one of the most influential people in my life and I am always thankful for what I learn from being her friend and colleague!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes she was forced by me!!! Lol but I think it was riight on time with it being teacher appreciation week because she has taught me soo much! She is truly appreciated by me!!!

~*Jess*~