Friday, June 16, 2006

Just for Fun

No big profound thoughts today. I've been told every once in a while that I can be too serious because I think about things too much. Knowing the things I know, I don't think people think about reality near enough...but that's another blog. :) Today's blog is just for fun.

Have you heard about the story of the adult-proof ringtone? You may have by now. I've seen it in about three different news sources. The tone is a high-pitched frequency that most people over 30 can't hear. The sound was originally developed as a repellant to keep teens from hanging out at certain places. Realizing that, the teenagers somehow figured out how to turn the annoying noise adults had come up with to keep them away into something they could use for their benefit. Somehow they made it into a downloadable ringtone so that they could send undetectable text messages to each other in their school classes.

Kids really are way more intelligent than we give them credit for. If only we adults were as intelligent and could figure out how to tap into their creativity in a way that benefits us all!

I was really curious as to how this ringtone worked. On the link below, there is a place to "download ringtone." Try it out. I have a 20-year old in my house right now. When I pushed play, the Windows Media player looked like it was playing, but I could hear nothing. (How in the world does that work!) Tiffany immediately looked up and asked, "What are you doing?" I must say, after that I had a good laugh while driving her crazy the rest of the evening randomly playing the buzz tone over and over. I have no idea what it sounds like. I can't hear it. Evidently it can get pretty annoying. :)

Try it with your own kids or some kids you know. It's actually pretty funny to watch.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5434687

No comments: