Sunday, July 02, 2006

Welfare checks for wealthy people???

"Nationwide, the federal government has paid at least $1.3 billion in subsidies for rice and other crops since 2000 to individuals who do no farming at all..."

Does this sound absurd to anyone but me and the Washington Post (click on the blog title to link to the article)?

Now I know there may be two sides to the story. My dad's a farmer. As far as I know, he doesn't rake in thousands of dollars every year because he no longer farms, but he may have a different opinion than I do about this article. Maybe there's good reason to give away billions of dollars to people who are doctors, large business owners, and other wealthy people who have never farmed a day in their life. On a less cynical note, I would guess that there are actually some people in this program who do need and deserve the subsidies. My problem is with those who don't yet still reap the benefits because of the plot of land they chose to buy.

In the days of cutting miniscule social services for poor people while cutting taxes for those in the upper tax brackets. In the days of voting not to raise minimum wage while voting to increase the salary of Congress, I shake my head. I do not understand why the low-income group is disparaged about taking government money, while the high-income group is graciously given money for doing less than nothing. The farm subsidies, from what I read, will not allow them to develop their land. So they are getting free money to play with and develop other interests. Why isn't anyone complaining about the wealthy, non-farmer's "welfare" checks?

Jon Stewart had a great segment about the minimum wage. Go to this link and click on the video entitled "Minimum Wage."

Our current administration is adamant about Christianity and having good values and morals. Perhaps they're overlooking all of the scriptures on how to treat the poor. Read below and see what you think.

But the Master said to him, "I know you Pharisees burnish the surface of your cups and plates so they sparkle in the sun, but I also know your insides are maggoty with greed and secret evil. Stupid Pharisees! Didn't the One who made the outside also make the inside? Turn both your pockets and your hearts inside out and give generously to the poor; then your lives will be clean, not just your dishes and your hands."
Lk. 11:39-41 The Message

My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don’t show favouritism.
Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in.
If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?
James 2:1-4

"Among my people are wicked men who lie in wait like men who snare birds and like those who set traps to catch men. Like cages full of birds, their houses are full of deceit; they have become rich and powerful and have grown fat and sleek. Their evil deeds have no limit; they do not plead the case of the fatherless to win it, they do not defend the rights of the poor. Should I not punish them for this?” declares the LORD. “Should I not avenge myself on such a nation as this?"
Jeremiah 5:26-29

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless.
Isaiah 10:1-3


The righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.
Proverbs 29:7

No comments: