Saturday, January 17, 2009

60 hours on a bus...10 hours in Washington D.C.


It's 8:20 on Saturday night. 2 1/2 days before the Inauguration of Barack Obama.

I learned of my trip to Washington D.C. only on Tuesday of this week. We leave tomorrow morning at 5:00 a.m.

Despite what I feel like is an over-busy life these days, with my last-minute decision to go on this trip, it's amazing how I've kicked it into high gear to be able to go on mini-shopping sprees because I am hoping to capture the swearing, parade, and people in any way possible--video, audio, or visual. I actually have no idea what *is* actually possible. I have no tickets and will only be in D.C. for a mere 10 hours on Inauguration Day. I don't know if it is possible to be a part of the parade *and* see the swearing in on the jumbo-trons. I have no idea what the crowds will be like and how easy it will be to walk around. But it doesn't matter. I will be there.

I have purchased extra batteries, chargers that don't need electricity so I can keep all my electronics going, and even have an extra cell phone (mine suddenly decided to go dead at random moments yesterday...making me panic, thinking I will be in the middle of a potential 4 million people with no phone!).

I will be riding a charter bus that is caravanning with two other buses...a total of about 150 people. We will have a whirlwind trip with about 60 hours on the road and only about 10 spent in Washington D.C. ...but that is the adventure and the excitement of joining in this new movement.

Sunday, January 18, 2009
4:00AM Arrive at True Lee Baptist Church
5:00 AM Leave Dallas

Monday, January 19, 2009
9AM-10AM Arrive in Philadelphia PA
10AM-2PM Check in Hotel
2PM-5PM Tour of Philadelphia

Tuesday, January 20, 2009
3AM Leave Philadelphia –travel to DC
8AM Arrive at designated Parking Space-DC
Noon Attend Inauguration Ceremony
6PM Leave Washington DC

As I get ready for my trip, I would like to hear what you want to know. What questions would you like to ask people who attend? If you were there, what moments would you like to capture...or if you're going, what are you planning to capture?

1 comment:

Ms. Embry said...

I think the most amazing part of being there is just being there! You may not get to actually visually some of the events take place, but to be among so many people who were moved to leave their homes and travel across the country just to be in the city where history is taking place is going to be electrifying! I think just meeting people from all across the country, all backgrounds, and hearing their personal stories about why they chose to be there, would be interesting. I think talking to older people who lived through the civil rights movement and are there will be interesting. Just documenting people's stories and making a visual representation of how Obama truly has brought so many people together from ocean to ocean at this occasion...that is a representation of how he has brought people together in ideals and goals as well...those people represent the nation. YOU represent the nation! Yay! I will be checking the blog frequently to see what you are experiencing!