Tuesday, November 04, 2008

How does Barack Obama affect race relations?

I got a call from a local TV reporter this afternoon. "Hey Janet...what have you been hearing about the elections?"

At that point...nothing really. Several of my college-aged friends had text'd me to tell me they had voted...and that it didn't take long. Nothing extraordinary.

Not an hour after he called, one of my college-student friends called to tell me that there had been a noose hung at Baylor University! Since the African-American population is the minority, there is an area where the black students hang out. It has been dubbed, "Little Africa." Evidently, this morning some of the students walked to their daily hang out to find a noose hanging.

They took pictures...and she's going to try to send them to me...but when the reporter called to try to investigate, no one wanted to talk. My friend said her friends don't want their names associated with that story. They're scared.

Another friend from Missouri told me that he voted democratic for the first time. But, he said his biggest fear for Obama is that he will be assassinated.

The blog I posted the other day, You Can Vote However You Like, has drawn many racist comments. I ended up having to moderate the comments. I'm all about free speech...but I won't have overtly racist comments associated with my Youtube account.

The racists that have come out as a result of this election may be in the minority, but their voices are loud...and they create real fears.

It is because of these things that I, too, have fears for Obama. But I believe Obama is very aware of these threats and fears. But I also believe that Obama knows he, much like Martin Luther King, Jr., can move us to the next level of race relations. I believe he is willing to take that risk for the good of the country.

I hope that we have enough people now that we can overcome the racism in a very different way than it had to be overcome in the 60s.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's deplorable about the noose....

ACU student pres was a victim of that horrible act too just a few weeks ago :(

Anonymous said...

I think the animosity isn't towards Obama........ It's towards his views... his views towards murdering babies (first promise is to sign the Freedom of Choice act to make it easier to get abortion), and that he won't support an ammendment to the constitution to make it only between 1 man and 1 women. (While he says he's against gay marriage not supporting an ammendment is the same thing as supporting gay marriage.) Focus on the Family stated in their webcast tonight that 6 months from now, no one will want to admit they voted for Obama. I hope that's not true.

I believe that if Obama were the reupblican candidate with a more Godly attitude, there would not be much talk about assassination. (Which is horrible to even think about.)

I won't ignore that there, sadly, still is racism in our country. When I first heard about him, I wanted him to win just because he is black (I too am discriminated against in our society) but when I learned about his views went against everything I believe as a Christian, I had no choice but to vote for his opponent.

That being said, I will be do my best to have a good attitude....

Anonymous said...

I can't believe there were negative comments left on the "You can vote" video - I loved it and the kids are very talented and cute!!!!!!!!!

But I must say, that you fearing for Obama to be assassinated is like whites fearing for there to be riots if Obama lost. You are making an assumption sole based on race and nothing else. There wasn't an assassination in the last few wins by democrats, why would there be one now? Remember that not all caucasian people are the same, we all have different thoughts, views, and respect for others.

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous #2 (actually I'm a friend of hers). Are you even aware of the "fairness doctrine" act that liberals are going to try to pass?????

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

Anonymous 10:58...I am not basing my concern of an assassination on an "all white people are the same" theory...because I don't believe that. I think that is definitely apparent by the fact that we elected Barack Obama as president last night. I base my concern of safety on the types of overtly racist comments that I have read on the responses (which I have chosen not to display), the nooses that have been hung in different states and on different campuses, the caricature billboards and cereal boxes, and the dragging that took place here in Texas just a few weeks ago. I am not concerned about *all* white people...just the small minority whose voices have become louder as it became more apparent we were going to elect a black man.

Anonymous 11:00...I wasn't real familiar with the "fairness doctrine" you spoke of...but as I looked at it, I'm not sure I understand why it could be a bad thing for people to hear both sides of an issue so that we can have a more educated understanding of things. But, just for clarification, Wikipedia does say, "President-elect Barack Obama's campaign says that he 'does not support reimposing the Fairness Doctrine on broadcasters,' but that he 'considers this debate to be a distraction from the conversation we should be having about opening up the airwaves and modern communications to as many diverse viewpoints as possible,' adding, 'That is why Sen. Obama supports media-ownership caps, network neutrality, public broadcasting, as well as increasing minority ownership of broadcasting and print outlets.'"

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 10:44 said "he won't support an ammendment to the constitution to make [marriage] only between 1 man and 1 woman"

Yep, he said that, as did McCain, Palin, and Biden as well during the debates. It's just one of many reasons why I couldn't support either ticket this time.

Nevertheless, I agree with you about having a good attitude. Furthermore, as a Christian I should get busy doing my part to make a difference in the people around me.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that you realize the power of the Fairness Doctrine. Try this link:http://www.focuspetitions.com/155/petition.asp
If the station can't find someone to run a show on the opposite (say focus on family did a show with a man talking about how he left the homosexual lifestyle, the station would then be required to do a show on someone who is gay and how wonderful it is. And if they couldn't find someone to do it the FOTF show could not run. If someone wanted to do a show on how to get to heaven through Christ, someone else would have to do a show on another way on how to get to heaven. Basically Christianity could not be broadcast on the radio since there would be someone to be the opposite.

Anonymous said...

The fairness doctrine is fair to non-Christians but UNFAIR to Christians. A Christian television network would have to allow time for shows that discuss the Quran, Wiccan ritual, and Atheism...even if it's a private network. To me, it doesn't sound "fair", it sounds like another attempt to smother Christian views.