Sunday, November 16, 2008

In memory of Wyshina Harris

My friend and former co-worker, Wyshina Harris, was killed yesterday morning.

Just two weeks ago Wyshina was calling me, so excited that she had been able to cast a vote for an African-American president. It was her I posted about here. As I was standing in shock and awe as 6000 people around me cheered, it was Wyshina who called as soon as the announcement that Barack Obama had been named our president. Since I couldn't hear a word she was saying, I called her on my way home that evening and we talked about our feelings about that moment, what was happening around us, and how we were moving things forward.

A short time before that she came to visit Sylvia and I at our new office in Roseland. As she sat at the table, she laughed and asked us to start a new enrichment class on her day off so that she could teach art, a class she had taught in Turner Courts and something she had discovered she really enjoyed when teaching it to the children.

Wyshina had a great smile, a great laugh, a great joy. She loved pictures and was very photogenic. I hate the picture the Dallas Morning News chose to put in the online edition of the paper. I have no idea where they found it, but I wish they had asked for something representative of her. Below are some pictures that remind me of Wyshina.

Click here or go to the blog search above and type in "Wyshina" to read about the number of ways she impacted the community and to read about her own motivation to make things different for her and her children.

Please pray for her two children and her family.










9 comments:

Mrs. Sylvia said...

I will miss her very much. This not good bye Wyshina! It is see yah later. We love u!!!!

JazzberryPie said...

I could agree with you more about the picture the Dallas Morning News chose of Wyshina. The pictures you posted are much more representative of who she was.

Jennifer gave me the news yesterday. I was in complete shock. I can't even fathom how you and those who were closer to her must feel right now.

I can't help but cry every time I think about Jordan and Jazmine dealign with this. I've never seen a smile bigger than Jordan's and I hope that this unfortunate event does not bring hate to his heart. Please, please keep me informed on the funeral and the kids.

Michael Davis-Dallas Progress said...

We got the reward money going. There is a $5,000 reward to find Wyshina's killer.

Call the DPD Homicide Unit at 214-671-3661 or the North Texas Crime Stoppers tip line at 1-877-343-TIPS (8477) if you have any info.

Unknown said...

I used to be statione with Wyshina and another friend who was stationed with her told me about the tragic lost of a wonderful spirit. I passed the news on to some of my other military friends who knew Wyshina and we would like to know if anyone can tell us anything about her funeral arrangements? Please feel free to email me at akimab@hotmail.com or akimabdagr81@yahoo.com. Wyshina was truly one of the most wonderful people I know...not knew because her light will continue to shine.

Anonymous said...

I am still in shock about this whole situtation. I feel as if i lost a mother or my aunty or something. It seems like im in a nightmare and i just won't wake up! Its crazy how bad things always happen to the good ppl.I wish we could just ave one more day where we all could just meet up and chill. IDK how imma take it at the funeral but at least i know she is in a better place...
I LOVE YOU SOOOOOO MUCH WYSHINA AND I WILL SEE U LATER....

Mrs. Sylvia said...

I know how you feel Ms. tori. i was going through the same thing. i am still having a hard time dealing with it. I am sooo! scared about how i will feel once I go to the viewing and funeral, I just pray that God keep us all those two days. I hope to see you at the viewing on friday night.I just want you to know that I loveher as well as you! You are like a sister to me. We will be getting together to have a dinner in her honor, we will be playing hard like we use to and remembering the good times. hope you will be avaliable.We all need to stay in touch, i don't think I could make it if I lost someone else without seeing them again. We are all so close and we need to keep it that way. I will let you know when we will be having the dinner. Love Always Sylvia

Anonymous said...

What happened???

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

belinda~
You can read about it here:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/111608dnmetslainwoman.32b5148.html

Anonymous said...

Oh my - how awful!! And there are no more clues?