Sunday, August 03, 2008

Is segregation natural?

Urban Experience is a program designed for suburban youth groups. The students are almost always all white.

Each session I invite several teenagers I know well to participate. They are mostly black...sometimes Hispanic.

My goal with the Urban Experience program is to create awareness...to create new understanding...to help suburban teenagers challenge some of their preconceived (and, often, unconscious) notions about the inner city. I include our teenagers so there is real interaction and engagement with people on an equal level instead of always interacting with inner city residents on a "charity" or "service" level.

I have high hopes that once people begin to see--whether black or white, poor or wealthy, gay or straight, Christian or Muslim--that everyone has goals and dreams...everyone wants to be treated with dignity. I want them to talk to each other so they can understand someone else's definition of dignity and respect. I want them to listen to and learn from each other. I try to challenge participants by initiating conversations (and requiring every teenager from both groups to participate) about racism, socioeconomic status, neighborhoods, and talking about themselves.

This year I began to regret my decision to include my teenagers from Dallas.

As my teenagers talked to me after they had spent their days going into different urban neighborhoods with the group, I felt like I had perpetuated the very stereotypes that I sought to counter.

Though I tried to put teenagers on an equal level, the "poor, black, inner city resident" stereotype, and the assumptions that go along with it, remained. Though it may not have been intentional or obvious to the suburban participants, it was strongly felt by the teenagers I had asked to participate. The absolute last thing I wanted was to hurt the teenagers I interact with on a regular basis.

After contemplating much of this in my own mind, one of the speakers (before his presentation) randomly asked me, "Is segregation natural?"

As I looked across the room, I thought back to the beginning of each week of Urban Experience. Each week, students came in and sat down--whites on one side, blacks on the other. Each time, I made everyone "move around" and "mix it up." By the end of each week, some would gravitate back toward the people with whom they were comfortable (i.e. people of their own ethnicity...people they had known for a while). By the end of the week, however, I only had to give a "look" and people would begin to switch seats and move so that they were sitting between and conversing with new and less familiar friends. As the group would leave on Friday, many exchanged phone numbers, facebook, and myspace pages.

I don't expect that one week fixes everything. In fact, some participants left and did not like or necessarily agree with the approach. However, by creating honest (and uncomfortable) conversations, I have hope that it has challenged people to think about and talk about segregation, assumptions, what led us to this point, and what we can do to reverse it....with others who look like them as well as continuing and seeking out conversation with those who don't. I have hope that as we get to know each other and "see beyond the surface," we will do more to value and respect each other for who we each are...not overlooking people's differences, but celebrating them and learning from them.

As I look back on the three weeks of Urban Experience groups, I reflected on the speaker's question:

Is segregation "natural?" (i.e. innate)

No.

Is segregation "natural?" (i.e. normal...instinctive)

Yes...but only because we have made it that way, make excuses as to why "it's not my fault," and, thus, allow it to continue.

By purposefully and intentionally getting involved with each other, with an openness to learning something from the other, maybe we can change that.

7 comments:

Casey McCollum said...

great post - I think one of the BEST parts of UE is having your inner city friends (and now our friends) join us.
It is much harder to stereotype and generalize when you have a name and a face behind it.

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

Thanks, C.P. I hope we can all continue what we started this summer!

Anonymous said...

I really hope I didn't make anyone feel that way! I genuinely enjoyed getting to know all of the people you invited! The only reason (from my standpoint) that I sat with the people from RE when we first got there was because I knew who they were, I'm (contrary to popular belief) a very shy person when I first meet people, no matter what they look like...

I've made some amazing friends out of this year's Urban Experience and I think it definitely made for a different time than last year. Getting to know someone that actually saw all of this stuff right in their faces every day. It helped me understand it better and push my comfort zone a bit more.

I hope I wasn't a problem, I thought it was nice having more people from the community with us. And I got to learn a lot about the people that live in Dallas. I apologize if I did do something to make any of them feel uncomfortable or hurt!

-Bee-

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

Thanks for commenting, Britany.

"It helped me understand it better and push my comfort zone a bit more." ...I think that was the point of UE. It's less about what happens at the beginning of the week...and more about what happens by the end. ...and then realizing it doesn't stop there.

We all have a lot to learn (young and old(er)...black and white and hispanic...wealthy and middle class and poor...suburban and urban and rural)... so it's not about one learning more or less than anyone else. It *is* about us listening to each other, pushing our comfort zones (sometimes), and learning to value each other *because of* (not in spite of) the perspectives each of us bring to the table.

I am VERY glad you participated this year...and last year...and hope you come again NEXT year! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely try! Just depends on how money's doing when the time rolls around and what my calendar looks like. I really hope we can pull out all the stops next summer and get at least 10 kids from our church to come, haha.

-Bee-

(PS) Come to Smokey's this week, so I can see you one last time before I leave. If you can't, that's cool, just wanted to let you know it's my last week for the nxt 4 months. Wow, that's really sad!

Anonymous said...

Janet, you should not apologize for trying to show both sides the other side. Because of stereotypes, it may take longer than the time allowed to change what a lifetime has built up in these children's minds. But I am sure that you affected these young adults more than what you were able to see by the end of the week. You stated that exposing them to one another may have confirmed stereotypes for them. I do want to comment that many people do not understand the cultures of others because they do not understand the historical context that shapes the culture. I think what you did is commendable, don't regret it. I am sure that you did more for these kids than what they were able to reflect back to you in the end.

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

Thanks, camrons mom. I do think you're right (Teenagers are so hard to read sometimes! :))...although it may have confirmed some stereotypes, it also may have allowed them to dispel others. We've got a long way to go as a society. And we've got to be in contact with each other to improve.