Saturday, April 22, 2006

Race for the Cure

Last night, two things happened. I attended an event for my friend, Charlie Mae Ransom. Ms. Ransom is an amazing woman. She has lived in the Roseland Homes Housing development for (I forget exactly) over 60 years, I believe. She moved in when the development was first built and has been a leader (or should I say "the" leader) of the community ever since. If all of our communities had leadership like she gives Roseland, we'd all be better off. Ms. Ransom has recently been diagnosed with cancer. Though she has now lost her hair from her treatments, her energy level was still high and she looked stunning in a brightly colored, stylish dress with a bright pink scarf tied beautifully on her head. I would like to think that I could follow in the footsteps of a woman as amazing as she is.

Last night, the city of Dallas officially proclaimed April 21st as Charlie Mae Ransom Day. She very much deserves that honor. Congratulations, Ms. Ransom.

After I left Ms. Ransom's celebration, I went to the P.C. Cobb Field in South Dallas to support the Race for the Cure, also an amazing event. Evidently, they have this event every year in South Dallas. This year it seems more meaningful just because several people I know have been diagnosed with, and some have died from, cancer recently.

From 7:00 p.m.-7:00 a.m. at the event in South Dallas, people walk around the P.C. Cobb track. At 9:30, when I arrived, the entire football field was covered with tents ready to camp out for the night. The whole area had that wonderful Texas bar-b-que smell as people had already kicked the grills into high gear and had food available for the evening.

This reminded me of the Immigration march I went to a few weeks ago. There weren't quite as many people, but it was very much a family event. However, this time, it was mainly African-American families. Moms, dads, and kids...kids in strollers as well as teenagers...walking around the track "racing" for the cure. Some teenagers entertained on a stage, other teenagers danced off to the side. Jump houses were available to give the smaller children something to do when they weren't walking.

Some of the cancer survivors participated wearing purple t-shirts that said something like, "I had it. I fought it. I survived it." I loved getting to one point at the track where about three people stood as a cheering section specifically for the people with purple t-shirts. Every time a person with a purple t-shirt would walk by they, cheers would go up.

Recently I've had several friends and family who have been diagnosed with cancer:

Ronnie Smith, Vern Cubbage, Dorothy Pringle and Tommy Clegg have died recently or within the last few years.

Charlie Mae Ransom, Charlie Clegg, and Brenda James have been diagnosed, but are doing well.

I'm sure I've forgotten some. Please keep them and their families in your thoughts and your prayers. Click on the title of this blog if you would like to make a donation to Race for the Cure.

No comments: