Saturday, August 19, 2006

Back to the Basics


I had set my alarm for 5:30 this morning. It's always set for 5:30. Part of the reason is that I like to get up and enjoy my mornings.

But it's also because I always tell myself I have so much to do...so much to get done by the day's end.

After hitting snooze for about an hour, I realized there was nothing pressing I had to do today so why not sleep in?? I went back to sleep for another hour.

When I woke up again, I had a revelation.

I need to sit back and enjoy life sometimes. When people ask what I've been up to, all I ever say is, "Work, work, work." That's not always true, but I think working is supposed to mean something in our society. Those who work more than their share get the promotions...or simply keep their jobs. A 40-hour work week just isn't good enough anymore. How much we work seems to determine our value.

I grew up on a farm. My parents always chatted about pointless things with whoever happened across their path. Dad would stay for hours after church talking to his cousin about the price of hay, the weather, and whether or not hog prices would go up or down. Quality of life was more about talking with the people around you.

My neighborhood in Dallas is the same way. My neighbors may not make a lot of money, but they have time for each other. They may not work the big-paying, salaried jobs. But sticking to a 40-hour work week allows them to just hang out and talk. I never hear them complaining about being bored.


I think there's a lot to learn from that ability to relax and hang out with the people around us. I'm trying to move back toward that

...beginning today.

1 comment:

Jeremy Gregg said...

Good luck with that! Let me know how it goes. :)