Friday, January 12, 2007

Matthew 25:35-46

I was rifling through some old files and found this "modern paraphrase" of Matthew 25 that seems rather relevant these days:
To those on his right, the Ruler will say,
I was deaf, and you learned signs for me;
I was handicapped and you gave me respect and a job.
I was a refugee, and you gave me a new home.
I was obese, and you made room for me.
I was a teenager, and you gave me a voice in decisions.
I was jobless, and you gave me work.
I was poor, and you freed me from bondage.
I was oppressed, and you changed the system.
I was different from you, and you made me your equal.

To those on his left, the Ruler will say,
I was deaf, and you mumbled behind my back;
I was handicapped, and you built revolving doors.
I was a refugee, and you sent me back.
I was obese, and you made thin beautiful
I was ateenager, and you ignored my maturity.
I was jobless, and you gave yourselves a raise.
I was poor, and you raised my rent.
I was oppressed, and you pushed me farther down.
I was different from you, and you made jokes about me.

Lord, when did we see YOU like this?

Whenever you have done this to any human being, you have done it to me.

~by Louisa Baer

No comments: