Monday, October 27, 2008

Our world today: Progress and Resistance

As I sat grading Reflective Personal Development papers for the Multicultural Education course I teach, one of my friends called. The first words out of her mouth were, "My mom and I just voted! Outside of having my children, I have never felt something so liberating!!"

She went on to tell me how she had originally planned to vote tomorrow (her day off), but her dad called and said, "You need to come now! The lines aren't long and it's an amazing feeling!"

Yes, my friend is Black...and yes, her overwhelming excitement was because, for the first time in her life, she was able to walk into the voting booth and choose a Black man for the highest office in our land. But, just for the record, she is not voting for Obama solely because he is Black. We talked about how she likes Obama's healthcare plan...and desperately needs affordable healthcare for her children. She also believes that the Earned Income Tax Credit that Obama supports can help her and her family.

My neighbor, an older Black gentleman, also explained to me yesterday that he could now go to his grave because of this monumental moment. He talked about the segregated entrances and water fountains he used to experience and explained how he never thought he'd see this day. He went on to say that he had hopes that this would open up the field for Native American, Asian, and Hispanic candidates in the near future.

And just for the record...for those who still may be thinking that Black people are only voting for Obama because he's black...the majority of Black people have traditionally voted for the democratic platform...which has meant voting for White men. Obama being a democrat probably has more to do with them voting for him than because he is Black. Otherwise, Alan Keyes (R) or Jesse Jackson (D) would have won.

As my friend talked, I got chills. This moment obviously meant a LOT to her.

I hung up the phone and went back to grading the reflective development papers, which challenge the students to think about ethnic and racial experiences and how those experiences have impacted them. Ironically, the paper I was grading was a very open and honest account of negative past experiences related to race and negative present feelings about mixing cultural groups. The hurt and anger from those past experiences were apparent and had led this particular student to be content with admitted closed-mindedness.

After the phone call, I was excited about the possibilities of our future. But grading the paper, I was sad knowing that we still have much very challenging and difficult work to do to dispel stereotypes and create trust amongst people.

Our country is changing. We are moving toward acknowledging the diversity of our great nation. We are hopefully moving toward inclusivity in a way that Brown v. Board didn't accomplish. At the same time, though, we still have people who believe people of different cultures and ethnicities are too different and that assimilation and conforming should be the solution.

Some of the most hardened segregationists have admitted they were wrong for their actions in the 60s. I have hopes that the remnants of people who have fears about a Black man becoming president and people who believe that multiculturalism should be equal to assimilation will one day in the near future recognize the value that each person has to offer our great nation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janet, first of all I want to say THANK-YOU for what you do in making a tremendous difference in the lives of many children and people. You are an amazing person and I can can truly see Christ living in you. I wish there were more Janets like you out there.

I was wondering if you could just help clarify me on something?

I too, am a social worker, and when I first heard about Obama and his plans, I thought that was what the country needed. I could give you story after story of single moms with cancer and no healthcare, etc.

Then I read this from focus on the family:

http://focusfamaction.edgeboss.net/download/focusfamaction/pdfs/10-22-08_2012letter.pdf

And it opened up my eyes.

I was just curious as to your thoughts on that letter, good or bad. I have chosen to vote for McCain. I was skeptical of the letter until I read this: http://massresistance.org/docs/marriage/effects_of_ssm.html

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts perhaps you will sway my decision to vote for Obama.

Thank-you for being the light of the world to so many Christians and non Christians in need.

Anonymous said...

If you can't pull up the article, just google "Letter from 2012 Obama".

The other link is what is happening currently in massachusetts.

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

First, thank you for compliments...and for taking time to comment. As for my reaction to the links you sent...

Wow. I finally got a chance to read them. They both scare me about the fear-mongering that is happening from "Christians." Both links seem very geared to strike fear in people and both speak to the extreme.

The way I understand our constitution, it was designed for "we the people"--not just "some people," "white people," "straight people," or any other mainstream group. Read it here:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence [sic], promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

It was also designed to create justice. Justice means that laws are created for ALL.

We even say it in our pledge of allegiance. "liberty and justice for all" ...so who gets to decide who that "all" includes?

I believe that "justice for all" means that our society (and Christianity) is based on dignity and respect, ...and acting out that dignity, respect, and justice means not saying things that create fear and encourages disgust and hate...which is what is happening.

The Jesus I know values people. He may have challenged them, but he valued them. In fact, he sometimes challenged the people who were trying to ensnare them more so than the people in the wrong. He even forgave the people in the wrong and sent them on their way...but I don't remember him forgiving the Pharisees (those initiating the condemnation) much, if at all.

Since we are not Jesus and don't have the power to forgive, as he did, I believe we should value people, challenge their thinking, and be open and let them challenge ours as well.