Sunday, January 18, 2009

Get on the Bus

I'm not sure what this post will turn out like. I'm blogging from my phone. I've never used the internet on my phone, and I don't pay for internet. The only thing I can figure is that the t-mobile lady took pity on me and gave me some perks, knowing I was going to the inauguration and my phone was messed up.

We left this morning around 6:30. I am one of the few white people on this trip, which isn't that unusual for me...but on this trip, I don't know most of the people. Several have asked who I'm with. They think because I'm white with a big camera that I'm reporting for channel 8 in Dallas.

I never know how to answer that question, 'Who are you with?' It's usually asked when I'm the minority in a setting...by blacks and whites, alike. (I suppose there has to be a reason that black people and white people would come together on equal grounds.) I usually end up with a perplexed look on my face and say, 'Myself!' Honestly, the question irritates me. I mean, why do I have to be 'with' somebody or something?

I learned about the channel 8 deal today when my friend chuckled and informed me a lady was very skeptical, wondering why I was taking so many pictures and video. Luckily, I do know enough people on this trip who help me by doing behind-the-scenes explaining, 'Oh, her?? That's just Janet. She's cool.' I am very grateful to them for that help.

It is because people of different cultures rarely come together on equal footing that I journey on this trip to a most historic election. It is even more powerful to me that I go with a group, most of whom do not look like me.

I journey to be a part of CHANGE.

In 2009, the way a person looks still often determines the way people perceive a person's status and position. I hope that this is the start of a new day.

However, it is not Obama becoming president that will do this; it is the HOPE that Obama inspires. It is the way he models his values, the very nature of who he is, and who he challenges us to be that will (hopefully) inspire US to be the change WE want to see in the world.(Ghandhi).

No comments: