Tuesday, August 03, 2010

ASA Learning Garden needs a Pepsi Refresh Grant!


For the last year, we have partnered with The Gleaning Network of Texas to create an After-School Academy Learning Garden. We started the garden after receiving approval from the Dallas Housing Authority to use a fenced in plot of land behind the After-School Academy. We were given approval in June of last year. If you know anything about Texas soil, you know June is not the smartest month to start a garden. But, with the perseverance of Susie Marshall, Executive Director of The Gleaning Network, the garden was under way.

It has taken some time for the kids to get used to the garden. But they have taken ownership of the garden and often beg to go water, dig, look at the worms, or "cook" the compost. You can see the progression of their garden experiences here: http://ourasafamily.blogspot.com/search?q=garden

Here is a past article written on my blog: Education and Focus through the Community Garden

The Gleaning Network has provided their services free gratis for the last year. It takes a lot of time, effort, and research to continue the garden...and we couldn't continue it without their help. (trust me...if you saw my garden at my house, you would understand)

So...please vote for us!! You can vote for other projects as well. You get 10 votes a day. You can use one to also vote for The Gleaning Network. Please vote for us every day! Here is our link:

http://www.refresheverything.com/asagarden

Pass it on!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I must admit I too have been a recipient of the assistance provided at the Dallas Central Ministries! Not only myself, but my family as well! You can count on my vote!

Janet Morrison-Lane said...

You're awesome, Franklin! Thanks!