Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Kirk Franklin Visits Roseland



Let me admit something. I'm not big on celebrities. My goal is education for children. Oftentimes, I think celebrities detract from that. Most of the ones I've met made empty promises (that they never kept) and the events seemed to be more about them than it was about the kids/families who were there.

So, when we were told to gather people to cheer for Kirk Franklin when he arrived, I must admit, I didn't have a great attitude. I didn't see the purpose. Kirk Franklin gets to hear cheering every time he walks on stage.

As often happens in my life, I had to eat my words (and, trust me, I have enough friends in my life who relish in making sure that happens). Yes, there was cheering when Kirk Franklin got out of his car. But he didn't walk but a few steps before he starting humbly greeting each person he saw.

He then sat down to listen to us. Yes, I said listen. Though he did talk, it was more of reflective comments based on what we just said. He then stayed for another hour or more touring our After-School Academy, Discovery Garden, Head Start, Teen U, Library (the Freedom Room), and Connect U. He listened. He talked. He reflected. He hugged. He did interviews.

He was supposed to leave at 11:00 sharp! ...but, instead, he left around 11:30. He's the only performer I know who has toured our programs before performing at our A Night to Remember. He challenged my stereotype by being entirely genuine and real.

Come out on Monday, October 25 to the Meyerson to see him perform.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes it was great listening to him speak. He spoke some very powerful words. I think what amazed me about him the most is that he grew up in a similar neighborhood and overcame adversity however he has not forgotten his background. The world is very blessed to have those that give back. I am very thrilled that he will be performing at A Night to Remember and also more thrilled that he came to tour so he can see what he is benefiting.

~*Jess*~