Sunday, April 11, 2010

The failure of Extreme Makeover

I've never been a fan of Extreme Makeover. I love seeing the houses transform, but I've always been irritated by their claim to help the lives of people.

Extreme Makeover is for people who have little to no money to fix up their own homes. Extreme Makeover comes in and gives families the finer things of life that they could never afford. While the finer things of life are nice, I always have to wonder how the people who can't even afford repairs on their older, sometimes dilapidated, home will be able to afford the repairs on flat screen TVs, specialized germ-free air units, an outdoor pool, etc. But even before the stuff gets old enough to have to repair, how do the families afford the monthly bills of all of that stuff?

In my little 1400 square foot house, I know electric bills can cost a good bit. If some great TV show came in and turned my small house into a two-story home, complete with all of the bells and whistles, there's no way I could afford even the monthly electric bill!

I've said this for years. My friend tweeted me the other day proving what I had always suspected:

Extreme Makeover Houses in Foreclosure

Though I often enjoy being "right," this makes me sad. I wish someone would have provided me a video link explaining that every home provided through Extreme Makeover came complete with all bills paid for the rest of the adult's life. Instead, families are borrowing against their homes and going into even more debt.

As a society, we have got to think differently. Charity and handouts are not the solution. Sustainable living and long-term solutions are.

Livable wage jobs...quality education...safe neighborhoods...responsive city services...

Anyone want to create a reality show that fights systemic injustices? It's not near as easy and romantic, but the long-term impact sure would make a difference.

4 comments:

Kim Batchelor said...

I have never watched the show, I have to admit, but understand that it's come in for criticism in the past regarding the effect of one nice house in an otherwise untouched neighborhood. Then, I read about the foreclosures. You've really illuminated the problems with this show and its impacted in a way that's never occurred to me, Janet. Very important post.

Kim Batchelor said...

One more thing: You bring up exactly why charity is not justice, and what we need is more justice.

Anonymous said...

I've never watched the show, but I'm sure I wouldn't be a fan of it.... I like Habitat for Humanity better that helps people buy homes with a 20 year, no-interest mortgage.......I know an executive director for Habit for Humanity who told me that on Extreme Makeover they do solicit and take donations from the local community businesses?!?!?

And yet, where does all of the $$$$ from the commercials go? I assume the producers and show staff, who probably make thousands, or even millions.

Don't quote me on this, but when you take donations from the local community (while making $$$'s on advertising), you therefore prevent other local organizations from receiving donations, which could have received the volunteer labor or whatever was donated.
In other words, local charities might hurt.

I must add that I don't agree that Johnathan Reckeford, the CEO of Habitat for Humanity earns $250,900/ year according to charitynavigator.org....... but HFH is much better than Extreme Makeover, I think. Just my 2 cents.

Good thoughts though. Esp about the utilities. And also property taxes are raised I"m sure.

Anonymous said...

I have often told my mother that the houses that they build are way to extravagant for the areas in which some of the families live. I think some of the needs can still be met without so much extravagance for instance bed rooms that will grow with the children and not fancy rooms that the children will grow out of in the years to come.