Monday, October 08, 2007

In the midst of struggle

I don't have answers. I don't have solutions. I don't know if the decisions I make result in positive, negative, or neutral outcomes.

I hope.

I pray.

I struggle with my decisions.

My head hurts....my heart hurts.

What is the best way to deal with a 12-year old (and some accomplices) who stole money out of a locked box at the After-School Academy (ASA) while the room was being used by another resident to throw a party?

All four have each been enrolled in the After-School Academy at various times throughout their life. This isn't the first time they have caused problems. But how can we help make it their last?

The good news is that one of their parents called to tell Wyshina (our ASA manager) what her son had relayed to her. She then called the parent whose son supposedly popped the lock and encouraged her to call Wyshina, which she did. It is nice to have people in the community who trust us enough to tell us what's going on. But what do we do with that information???

Do we report it to the police and press charges?...and then deal with the fact that these parents who were honest enough to call us would then be given a 30-day notice of eviction?

But if we don't report it, how much longer will these 12, 13, and 14-year old kids continue? How far will they go before they end up venturing into the wrong place, committing the wrong crime, and ending up in jail, prison, or possibly dead?? The lump rises in my throat as I write this...because it's reality here.

These types of decisions completely disable me. I sat at my desk with a blank stare. I finally left to go get a cup of coffee just so I could drive in silence and think. I came back with no answers.

God, how long do I have to cry out for help before you listen? How many times do I have to yell, "Help! Murder! Police!" before you come to the rescue? Why do you force me to look at evil, stare trouble in the face day after day?
~Habakkuk (The Message)


My heart was/is still heavy. I want to know the right thing to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a decision! my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

I know Janet Morrison and I know her desire, her will, her efforts as well as her ability to make decisions. I know that with a prayer you can gain the guidance that you need to help you make this decision. Whatever decision you make, I know that you will have the best interest of the future of the kids, their family, and the community at heart.
~*Jess*

Anonymous said...

Hard questions. No easy answers. This might be a good issue to address and discuss as a community with the parents - and maybe even the kids. I don't know, either. Just thinking.

Sheri